Friday, April 8, 2011

Welcome - Pablo Michaels

Greetings fans, welcome to Tabooindeed and I'm pleased to have Pablo Michaels, up and coming gay fiction writer with us today. Thank you for being here Pablo.


MM: So tell me, how long have you been writing?

Pablo: I wrote my first book with scrap paper in the third grade. I wrote for fun in junior and senior high school, but started writing poetry in college. It wasn’t until the 1980’s that I threw myself into writing seriously, initially writing very crude short stories, two plays and two novels. I published my first short story in 1986 in a literary magazine.

MM: What is your favorite subgenre to write?

Pablo: Knowing I was born gay, I prefer to write gay genre fiction. I concealed my sexual identity until I was twenty, coming out angry and confused I turned my anger into writing gay short stories primarily.

MM: Is there one that you haven’t tried that you see yourself doing in the future?

Pablo: I get inspiration from observing people and their interactions. I have always had an empathetic heart when it comes to the down trodden and homeless. Politicians make me very emotional with their stupidity for common sense. I’d like to write something more about these people.

MM: I’m of the opinion that erotica doesn’t have to be real all the time to make a good story, what are your thoughts?

Pablo: When erotica is included in my stories, it all comes from imagination. The story and characters are the most important aspects. Erotica just adds flavor to the final product.

MM: Who are the authors that you look up to?

Pablo: I was influenced mainly by existentialist writers like Camus and Koestler in my sophomore year in high school. I worked at the local library after school and weekends, smuggling out adult only books of Henry Miller and John Rechy. In college F. Scott Fitzgerald became my idol. Later in life I read every book by James Baldwin, Hemingway, and Christopher Isherwood.

MM: What are you working on now?

Pablo: I started a short story of a troubled gay youth and his problems in learning how to express love. I am half way done with the rough draft of a novel I started in 1990 which spans five decades. The main character struggles with depression and schizophrenia is entire life.

MM: When creating your characters, do you have models in mind or are they totally fictional?

Pablo: It varies, depending on the story. Some characters are based from people I observe, but many are from my imagination.

MM: As an M/M writer, do you feel that the trend is changing where it is becoming more mainstream?

Pablo: I certainly hope so. Publishing a gay theme for the mainstream has always been my goal. I hope readers experience my characters as people who they like and enjoy. Sort of a revelation of educating others how LGBT persons are human and equal.

MM: Recently, a writer sabotaged her career by answering a bad review on a blog. How would you have handled this and do you think authors should answer their reviews?


Pablo: Unfortunately I probably would be personally hurt, but if it is constructive to improve my writing, I would appreciate the review and respond. I normally don’t answer a review. I just thank them.

MM: Do you think it’s time for publishers to begin calling gay fiction/erotica what it is instead of m/m? Why or why not?

Pablo: I prefer gay or lesbian fiction; that’s more contemporary for accepting the orientation on a positive level.

MM: As a fellow writer in the genre, what is your stance on the difference between male and female gay writers?

Pablo: Living and experiencing the LGBT lifestyle may make a difference for writers. Lesbians, gay, transgender and bisexual authors are sometimes closer to the subculture. As for literary value I don’t think there is a difference. The important aspect of writing is to love it and do the best you can do.

MM: I read a blog about M/M writer’s losing their imagination because they are writing the same subjects repeatedly, what are your thoughts? http://www.reviewsbyjessewave.com/?p=42883

Pablo: The gay culture is so diversified. I don’t think good writers could lose substance or characters for their imagination.

MM: What is it about M/M that pleasures you to write it?

Pablo: Probably to maintain my sanity. Seriously, it allows my imagination to go further than what I have experienced in life. It’s an escape to create a story or character that brings me pleasure and I hope the reader.

MM: Where can we find you on the web?

Pablo: My blog is pablomichaels1.blogspot.com. I have an author page on facebook as Pablo Michaels also.

MM: Thank you for taking the time to spend with us today Pablo and continued success on your work.

Pablo: Michael, thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts.

***

Great interview and now Pablo is offering a blurb and excerpt of his latest book.

Blurb: Pablo Michaels has his first book signing for his novel, “Catnip, Rosemary, Rage and Time” on Saturday April 9th between 1 and 3 at The Book Shop in Hayward, CA.

The novel is set on a cruise to Alaska with Billie Blake and Glenn Talbot celebrating their tenth anniversary, with their cute young cabin steward, Steven, a god-like dining room waiter, Bruce, and a shy bartender, Harrison flirting more than they anticipated. An exotic, classy couple, Paul and Linda Anderson, stares at Billie, making him suspicious as to their intent. Temptation and diamond smuggling threaten to ruin their celebration.


Excerpt: Catnip, Rosemary, Rage and Time

Glenn focused on Bruce dancing, his hairy chest glistening. The dark, curly hair had matted from his sculptured pecs down to his rippled abs. As he continued to dance, the protrusion beneath the damp, thin pouch of his Jockey shorts revealed itself more distinctly than before. His arms and legs flailed and twisted to the erotic rhythm of the music. “I’m getting tired of just seeing Bruce dance,” he admitted with a sexually appreciative sigh.

“What if he approached you, dripping with sweat?” Billie laughed with appreciation at this very indecent, provocative suggestion.

“Gross! He’d have to shower first. I couldn’t take all that sweat and drool,” Glenn countered with his face wincing with disgust.

“I think all that sweat is appealing. You have to admit he’s quite the hunk.” Billie ventured a speculative look.

“Yes, dear, I see him quite clearly, and with that tool to die for.”

Billie continued to watch the other men dance. He slowly realized something occurring out on the dance floor. His face awakened with that look of recognition. “They’re doing poppers.”

“What do poppers really do for you?” Glenn asked innocently.

“They’re supposed to give you a sexual push, an erotic feeling. They just made me feel dizzy and light headed, when I use to use them,” Billie confessed. “Let’s go dance for a minute or two,” he begged.

“What about your leg?” Glenn asked suspiciously.

“Please, just one dance.”

Before Glenn could respond, Bruce approached him. He tapped Glenn on his shoulder. “Would you like to dance?”

Glenn’s face flushed crimson red. Fumbling for words, he turned to Billie for a reaction.

“Go ahead,” Billie said, “here’s your chance.”

“I suppose it’s okay then,” he finally answered, with his words tumbling out of his mouth.

As Billie watched them dance, he realized his glass was empty. He noticed an extremely, gorgeous bartender and decided to stroll up to the bar.

The bartender anticipated his ordering a cocktail, and greeted him, “Hi, I’m Harrison.”

“Uh, I’m Billie. Could I have a glass of Merlot?”

“No problem.” Harrison poured a glass of wine. Realizing Billie’s awe of the party, he mentioned, “It’s just a Jockey shorts parade with a lot of guys who won’t even remember your name. All these waiters and bartenders want to make good impressions with the cruise passengers. They might flirt with you and draw your attention. Don’t get too excited.”

“Yes, I guess you’re right,” Billie instantly agreed. He turned around and looked at the dance floor, hoping Glenn would forget about Bruce, after they dance up a sweat. He returned his focus to Harrison. He stood about six feet tall with wavy, blond hair, and almond shaped green eyes. Billie felt deeply drawn to him. Even though Harrison’s appearance was most appealing, Billie felt something else jelled between them. With Harrison busy serving drinks to other men at the bar, Billie returned to the edge of the dance floor. The music stopped, momentarily, and Glenn rejoined Billie.

Bruce stood next to him, as Glenn reintroduced him. “Do you remember Bruce? He’s our waiter in the Palm Court Dining Room.”

“Yes, I remember,” Billie answered jealously; “hi, Bruce.”

***

Thank you Pablo for that excerpt and blurb. Also, I appreciate the bit of info about your book signing. Readers, if you're in the area, please go see Pablo at that location.

I wish you continued success!

4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Wow, what a cover! Sounds like a fascinating story. Wishing you many happy sales.

Sarah J. McNeal said...

I like the answer you gave about a bad review and how you would handle it. First of all, you thank reviewers which is very polite, second you took a mature tact about leaving a bad review alone without response.
I love the catchy title: Catnip, Rosemary, Rage and Time. Very clever, Pablo.

S.Lira said...

TY for visiting Tina and Sarah. I like the title too! ;)

She said...

Good excerpt and interview. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. You had some good things to say about gay and lesbian erotica and the labels put on it as well as its acceptance within the reading community.