Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sheila's Monthly Post

Greetings again!

I'm always happy to have Sheila G on the blog with a post from the readers side.  Here' in the one for November. I totally relate to this.

No Time

As a reader the worst sentence I can say is “I don’t have time to read.”  That is exactly what happened to me in October.  I went to Romanticon the first weekend of the month and I have not recovered or caught up yet.  I had a blast and hear that many who went to GayRomLit also had a good time.

I usually read 15-25 books a month but this October I only read 6 books--not good!  I have to admit I did not expect Dracula to take me three weeks to read.  However, when I was reduced to reading in 15 minute spurts because I did not have time to sit and focus on my reading, a 400 page book seems as long as War and Peace, but with less names to remember.

I expect November will not be much better.  The day job is killing me.  I hit the floor running when I get in there and do not stop until I get home where I am too tired to do anything but fall asleep.  I know many writers are participating in NaNoWriMo.  Good luck to you all!  I know you understand about not having enough time.

On a high note, though, one of my bosses from the book store is now working at a used book store up the street from my mom‘s house.  This book store brings authors in to do a reading and discuss their work as well as sign it.  That is super cool for me!  I love meeting authors--we all have our vices.  I can honestly say that authors are the neatest people.  There’s only one whose work I would never read or buy again, out of all the authors I’ve met.  But that’s a story for another time.

With the holiday season coming soon, I’ll be looking at books to buy.  The best gift in the world for me is a book or a gift card for a book store.  For this month, I will recommend the following books:

          Casa Rodrigo by Johnny Miles
          The Secret of Talmor Manor by Matthew Lang
          The Angel of 13th Street by Eden Winters
          Looking for Adventure by Valentina Heart
          Beside the Darker Shore by Patricia J. Esposito
          The Broken by Stella Notecor

So keep writing so I have more books to read.

No comments: