Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thursday Thoughts Book Review Don't Ask Don't Tell Melissa Kendall

Good morning readers. Welcome to Thurday Thoughts here at Michael's. Occassionally, I'll be doing book reviews on the blog to let you know what I'm picking up to read while I'm writing or editing.


Since I'm doing edits, I do have time to pick up a few short reads. Melissa Kendall's Don't Ask Don't Tell is a short read. Let's check out the blurb first:

Sergeant Jason Holt and his boyfriend Sergeant Patrick Wentworth have been in a secret relationship for almost ten years. When the daily paper brings news of the repeal of the military’s ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy, they think their prayers have finally been answered. Yet things aren’t always as easy as they seem, with not everybody at work supportive of their lifestyle and even their parents skeptical. Will they finally be able to be out and proud?

Review: When I received the book for review, I expected a long read because of the cover art. The two men, dressed in camoflauge looks very intimidating. However, the book is exactly the opposite. Kendall's DADT is an enjoyable quick read with very little angst and drama on the pages. The characters Jason and Patrick are 2 military men, keeping their love secret from everyone while they serve in the same platoon.

Jason lets you know of his fears in the beginning saying that DADT's repeal changes very little and he expects something might happen sooner or later despite the historic change in the military. However, nothing really happens and they go on their merry way, loving one another, living together on base with only a couple of people calling them out their names when they come out in the mess hall. That is immediately squashed though when a commander breaks up the heated arguement with Jason and some MP's. 

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, I'm going to see I wished the story had a little more in the book to keep us interested. It's true, I love a fluffy story. I've written a few under all my pseudonyms so I'm not opposed to tales with little drama and hot sex. This story delivers on that but I wanted to see a bit more. I wanted to know the angst Jason and Patrick were feeling when the MP's called them the names. There's even a part on the book when one of them gets sent away to Iraq but it's merely only a mention. I believe a chance to expand on the characters was missed there. We have no clue how the men felt about being separated for eighteen months. Was their temptation to date other men? What about any communication while being away that long? We know nothing about their feelings during that time. It's as if it weren't an important part of the story and in my opinion it is. 

Lastly, I don;t believe the book gives much insight into the characters themselves. What do we really know about Jason and Patrick? Other than the fact they love one another, we don't get a real feel for them. I would've loved to see more about their personalities because I couldn't connect with them.

Still, I loved the book. It was an quick, well written read I was able to finish in minutes. The sex was scorching and the story very sweet and hopeful. 

3 Stars

Melissa Kendall's book barrage is tomorrow at Triad Lit. Please check it out to have a chance at winning a copy of the book as well as an Amazon GC. 

No comments: